Making a Cherry Pie on a Friday Afternoon

Now that summer is around the corner, I felt safe using some of the cherries in my freezer.  These are the cherries I picked last summer; you can find my recipe on that post.  I now only have one bag left in my freezer, but since I'll be picking more in a little over a month, I'm ok with that.

I would never recommend rolling out a pie crust if you don't have a pastry cloth and a rolling pin cover.  My mom taught me many things... but this may be the most important lesson I learned from her :)

I decided to make a lattice top crust.  First roll out the crust, then cut into strips.

Then lay the strips over the pie, leaving evenly spaced gaps between.


Next lay a second set of strips over the pie running the opposite directions.  Gently lift up alternating strips of dough to form the lattice pattern. 

There... aren't they pretty?

Place a pie protector over the edges and pop it in the oven

After the pie is in the oven, roll out the scraps, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Place on a baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes until golden and crisp- they are so yummy!

There it is... the cherry pie we baked today...mmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey