A Bowl of Cherries



When I was a little girl, we had a cherry tree in our yard. I have some vauge memories of my dad up in that tree picking all the cherries. I am sure my mom used the them to make many wonderful pies and crisps, but I mostly remember picking those small sour things off the tree and popping them right in my mouth. Sadly, sometime during grade school the tree died, and my dad took his chain saw and cut it down.
Seven years ago, I was walking our dog on a small college campus in town, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a cherry tree- heavy with fruit right in the middle of my path! I ran home, called the campus groundskeeping office, and gained permission to pick as many cherries as I wanted! Hours later I was happily baking a fresh cherry pie, and freezing 10 bags of the beautiful things for enjoyment all year round.
I've picked the cherries every year since then, except the year I had Fisher. Claire and I went and picked this weekend, and I think it was the biggest crop yet. I only got 1/2 way around the tree, picking only the bottom branches, and got enough for 4 big pies. It blows my mind that until I found this tree, all of those cherries had gone to waste year after year with out a single pie resulting from its fruit. I mean seriously- is there anything better than warm sour cherry pie with homemade vanilla ice cream?

Comments

  1. You have that right.... I have some in my freezer now from a kind Fort Dodge friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey