Life Interrupted... Spring Storm!



Last week started off with many good intentions to be productive at home.  This was going to be Week 2:  Clothing.  My goal was to get ALL of the clothes in our house sorted, packed away or given away.  Monday I had a good start- I went through my clothes and filled a large garbage bag full of clothes to donate.  Then Tuesday we woke up to ice falling from the sky.

Our poor city.  Trees on EVERY SINGLE block buckled under the weight of the ice.  I heard today that they were especially frail and dried out due to the drought we are in.  It truly looked as if every neighborhood in our city of more than 150,000 had been visited by a tornado.  The poor, poor trees.

And THEN we got 6 inches of wet heavy snow on top of the mess.  It was beautiful, but it was a mess.


Our backyard.  The large limb behind Fisher is balancing like a tripod on our electrical wires.
Half of a tree from our neighbor's yard got pushed into our yard in order to clear the road for traffic.
We lost power Tuesday at 8:30am and didn't regain power until noon on Saturday- that's 100 hours without power!  Thankfully, between my mother and father-in-law and my sister-in-law, we always had family in town with power... that's right...4 sleep-overs in a row!  My kids got to spend 2 nights at their in-town cousin's house, and they couldn't have been happier!
Cuddled in their Auntie's spare bedroom- SO FUN!!!

Then of course, the clean-up began.

One of two of our neighbor's trees that had to come down :(

At one point on Saturday, I counted NINE tree trimming/removal trucks on our small street.

We had to get a new electrical do-hicky so that our lines could be hooked up.  Looks like we also need the siding and soffit repaired now too.

The girls hauling one of hundreds of branches out of our backyard

More excitement at our neighbors.  This tree is going down too.  Sad, sad, sad.

And out of all of the disorder that was created by this Spring Storm, one thing beautiful and good happened... I completely cleaned out my fridge and freezer.  Ahhhh.. what a breath of fresh air.

So that was my week- a not-so-very gentle reminder that there are things bigger than our plans.  Events that change everything and make us thankful for shelter, warmth, food and family.  In this  world, even when storms come our way, the good always shines through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey