Day 4 and 5: FOOD= Cheater!

I've cheated a little the last couple days.  Bummer.  Sometimes it is hard to stick to a rigid diet plan in real life.
1st Cheat: coffee at a friend's house:  She went to the Breadsmith and got almond poppyseed bread and scones.  What was I to do??  I had a half piece of each.  And then I had another half piece of the bread, since I am a slave to almond-flavored baked goods.

2nd Cheat:  Met my parents at a Dairy Queen during the dreaded 3-4pm carb-craving hour.  They did not serve much in the way for whole grains or fruit there, so I had a small kids cone.  I felt yucky afterwards- must have been the infusion of pure sugar into my bloodstream.  I didn't finish the cone- it just didn't taste that great.

3rd Cheat:  I stopped by the Breadsmith on my way home from work to pick up pizza crust dough for supper tonight.  They were out of wheat, so I bought white.  I thought "I will toast some of my whole wheat bread and put pizza toppings on it.  Nope.  I ate the white pizza crust and I enjoyed it.  However, afterwards I felt a little like my old, slightly bloated self.

What I ate today:

Breakfast:  Quinoa with cheddar cheese and pepper flakes, topped with a fried egg, milk

Morning Snack:  Coffee with cream, plain greek yogurt drizzled with honey and topped with blackberries and almonds

Lunch: Beef stew, carrots and hummus, skim milk

Afternoon Snack:  dark chocolate, almonds, a few dark chocolate covered cranberries (probably another cheat)

Supper:  2 slices sausage pizza with red pepper and green olives, carrots with homemade ranch dip, water.

This was not the best day- not enough fruits and vegetables.  I can tell it's time to head to the store and stock up.  Also, it was a work day for me, and so I was a little stuck with what I brought to eat with me (and I was short on time this morning).

I continue to realize that I do feel better when I cut out sugar and simple carbs from my diet; even if I miss the tastes of those foods some times.  When I give in to temptation, I don't feel great afterwards, and then I am frustrated that I did it because it wasn't worth it.  This week hasn't been about calories or loosing weight for me, but rather how I feel, and fueling my body in a better way.  Even though I am a dietitian and I should know better, I am still surprised at how much better I truly do feel.  I always assumed my diet was just fine- because I eat things in moderation.  But, I am realizing that I may need to redefine my criteria of "moderation."

I am also convicted about how much mindless eating I do.  I think a lot of this comes with the mom territory.  You become a garbage disposal of sorts- a few bread crusts here, a half eaten cookie there, a small handful of crackers when packing a lunch, and on and on and on...

Anyway- I'm hoping for no more weak moments in the days ahead so I can finish Week 1 out strong.  Also hoping to get more goat cheese and dates tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey