A Place for a Girl

I began re-doing the girls' room last May with a coat of ballet-pink paint over the light yellow that was there when we bought the house nearly 5 years ago.  We had never actually "done" the room before, as  our 3rd child was not even on the way, and I wasn't sure if the double room would be a "blue" room or a "pink" one.

I chose a very light pink (actually, it is called "touching white") and I'm glad I did.  It looks plenty pink, especially in a smallish-room with only one window.  

When I was cleaning out my Grandma's house a year ago, I found a beautiful quilt buried under others in a trunk that was in an upstairs bedroom.  It would have been made by my Great-Grandma Cecilia Fevold.  It was made for a double bed, and the edges were badly torn and damaged.  I had my friend Ingrid (master seamstress) divide it in half and add a pink boarder around the edges.  My girls had matching quilts, made ~80 year ago by their Great-Great Grandma.  I knew that my Grandma, who loved all things pretty, would have been thrilled.  They are very fragile and have already received a tear or two, but I think it is still best to use them.  What good are they in a closet or chest, anyway?

Speaking of Great-Great Grandma's, Holland is now sleeping in the bed that once belonged to her namesake, her Great-Great Grandma Ovedia Reece.  I also slept in that bed (I also have Ovedia as a middle name), and so it was very important to me that the bed be kept in use, even in a "bunk bed" situation.  I found this picture online and gave it to my handy husband.  He nailed it!  It is a wonderful loft bed.  Claire's upper level has 2 shelves for displaying all sorts of little-girl necissities, and Holland's lower level has a shelf too.  Her antique bed fits perfectly under it.  We bought them reading lights at Ikea for $10, another great feature of the bed.

The dresser is one that my parents had used in their home ever since I can remember, and that I moved into our first home, 10 years ago and had used in my bedroom.  It is the perfect size for sharing, so I moved it to the girls' room and gave it a new look.  I painted the bulk of it a glossy graphic pink and then painted the drawers a glossy rose red.  

A few months after giving Claire her wish, and painting her room pink, she decided that she does not like pink any more, and instead loves all things turquoise.  Hmmm... So I guess we are going to have turquoise accents in the room.  I found a clearance twin duvet cover at Ikea and my mom made them into curtains (and I made the pillow case into a dance bag for Claire).  We bought a double desk at Ikea, which has been met with much delight by both girls.  In order to add a little bit of modern feel to the room, I decided to paint one wall a linen white.  It brightens up the room a little and was a good backdrop for the curtains and desk.  

So that's that- the room is pretty much done.  I am still going to add a few more turquoise accents by spray-painting a mirror and some shelves.  I am really, really happy with it, and I think the girls are too.





I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey