More Kitchen Happenings


We've been thinking a lot about chickens around here.  We are strongly considering building a chicken coop and owning a few of the little guys, I mean gals.  I think it would be a great learning experience for the kids, and it would give them some "farm chores" to do- even if it is in our little back yard.  We are egg lovers here, so an obvious perk would be fresh eggs every day.  While we are still working things out, I discovered that one of my co-workers has a hobby farm and brings eggs to work with her to sell every day!  Today I worked and picked up my first of, I'm sure, many dozens.  Guess what was for supper???  OMELETS!

My bacon, cheddar, red pepper on onion omelet made with local, fresh eggs.  Delicious.

Another exciting thing that happened in my kitchen this week was that I created a new recipe.  I'm actually pretty sure it exists already, but I thought it up all myself when all I had was some left over chicken, a half jar of pesto sauce and a half jar of spaghetti sauce. I call it...

Pesto Chicken Marinara Pasta Bake

2 cups cooked chicken
1/2 cup prepared pesto sauce
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Traditional)
2 cups cooked penne pasta, or other type
1.5 cups Itallian blend cheese

Mix chicken, pesto, spaghetti sauce, pasta and 3/4 cup of cheese in a casserole.  Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or till bubbly.  Uncover and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese and bake 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.

I know that I've been pretty heavy on the recipes lately on the blog lately , but rest assured, I've been up to plenty of othering things... like wiping cute little noses!

Comments

  1. Rachael,
    So exciting about the chickens! I've been thinking a lot about having chickens, too, for all the same reasons you listed. Keep us posted! I'll be interested to hear all about it. I tell Brent that I want bees for honey, too! He said he'd do chickens but not bees.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey