In My Kitchen...

To celebrate the end of my 5-day working week and return to being a stay-at-home mom (80% of the time) I spent most of my day in the kitchen.  You can easily tell this by
1. The amount of bowls and pans in my sink
2. bythe fact that I ran my dishwasher 3 times and
3. By taking in the state of things in the rest of the house- but that can be dealt with tomorrow.

Today, I baked and mixed and simmered and at the end of it all, I made three delicious things.

First I made Lemon Puppy Chow.  Yes, it was as good as it sounds.  I can't stop eating it!  I had to give some away to my neighbors just to save myself!





Next I made Honey Oatmeal Bread from the recipe section of my Kitchen Aid Mixer Owner's Manual.


For supper, I tried a new recipe for Black Bean Soup, adapted from Gourmet Today by Ruth Reichl.

Mexican Black Bean Soup
1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
3 quarts water
1 3-inch sprig of cilantro
Salt
1-15 ounce can of tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
1 clove garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp bacon grease
1 tsp aleppo chile pepper flakes (or another kind of chile peppers).  Aleppo peppers are not very hot, so if you are using a hot pepper, use far less.
Vegetable oil for frying
6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips

Combine beans, water, cilantro and 1 tsp salt in a 6 to 8 quart heavy pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 2 hours.  Remove from heat.
Puree tomatoes with garlic and 1/2 cup chopped onion in a blender. 
Heat 1 Tbsp bacon grease (or olive oil) in a 10-inch skillet over moderate heat.  Add tomato puree and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. 
Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid, and add beans to skillet. Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Puree bean mixture with reserved cooking liquid in batches in blender, then return to pot.  Bring to a simmer, stir in tomato sauce and 1 tsp salt, an simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet.  Add tortilla strips, in batches, in a single layer, and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden, 2-3 minuts per batch.  Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Season soup with salt.  Garnish with tortilla strips, sour cream, green onion, bacon, cheese and hot pepper sauce.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey