Time To Rearrange...


Something I look forward to in January is taking down my Christmas decorations and rearranging my shelves in the living room.  I love these shelves!  Our simple 60's ranch had none of the built-in nooks and crannies for display our first home (a 1923 4-square) had.  Purchasing these shelves online from a guy in Pennsylvania that made knock-off Pottery Barn shelves was a very good solution for our living room.  They came unfinished and we were able to stain them as we wished.

One of the best things about rearranging things in your home is that it gives you that "I just bought something new" feeling without actually spending any money. Here's what my shelves looked like when I was finished (too bad I don't have any before pictures)!

I think I have always had pretty good taste in home decorating, but I have a hard time knowing how to actually make my dream a reality.  I am learning.  When I decorate my shelves, I try to keep things symmetrical.  I tried to add some height and also to tie in all of they colors of our living room onto each shelf (green, orange, grey, kacki and white).

One thing I found in our home to add some color and personality to our room was to use a variety of books from our book shelves. All of these books were books that we just had lying around.  I love how the covers and the words contribute to the colors in the room.  I did steal the "Food Science" from my parent's house over Christmas.  Paired with "Handbook of the Trees," it represents my husband and I (he is a landscape architect and I am a dietitian).  I love having the globe up there because it adds some black to the lower shelf, along with other colors, and it is also very handy to have around when we need to use it as a visual-aid for our kids (or ourselves) :)

More books.  "A Sand County Almanac" is one of my husband's very favorites.  I love the gray cover of the Quotations book! 

I am certainly no expert in home decorating, but I am pretty proud of my shelves.  My next rearranging project is the basement- we are moving our desk to a different wall and getting a free game/puzzle/craft/project table from my parents.  Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Cute, Rachael! Love the new photos of the kids on the shelves, too. The pound cake looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey