"Nothing to Eat"

This morning I woke up and realized that I didn't know what we were going to eat today.  I had breakfast covered with cold cereal and bagels, but beyond that- what were we going to eat?  Fisher needed a sack lunch, the girls and I needed lunch, we didn't have any snack food in the house and then there was supper.  I didn't want to spend time or money at the grocery store.  I was really determined to make it through the day making-do with what we had on hand.  So...this is what we ate today:

Fisher's sack lunch:  Cheese, turkey pepperoni, crackers, an apple and honey-nut cheerios for "dessert."

Our lunch:



"Toad-in-a Holes,"  bananas and milk

Toad-In-A-Holes are simply buttered bread w/ a hole cut in the middle and an egg fried in the hole.  They are delcious and the fun name makes kids more likely to eat them ;)

For supper, I scoured my upstairs freezer and cupboards and couldn't make anything work with what was upstairs.  I took a look in our deep freeze and wa-lah!, I pulled out some walleye and sweet corn from this summer.  I fried some potatoes and made some homemade tartar sauce to go with it.


And finally, just because I felt like it, I made dessert:  Dark Chocolate Cake with glossy chocolate frosting.
  I love this recipe for frosting.  I am not a huge chocolate cake fan, but when it has this frosting on it, I am.  It doesn't requrire powdered sugar, and if you don't have unsweetened chocolate, you can substitute cocoa powder.  I doubled the recipe to frost my layer cake.

Not too shabby for a day were I woke up thinking "We have nothing to eat!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey