Simple, Tasty Casserole

I love casseroles.  My husband gags at the word "casserole."  So, I don't make many casseroles.
However, my husband was out of town last night, so guess what we had??  I finally got to open up that can of cream of mushroom soup I've been saving for just the right occasion.  :)

There were so many options to pick from, but I decided on this one:  Hamburger Chop Suey Casserole, straight from my Grandma's recipe book.  I remember her serving this to me many times from her farm house kitchen.  My kids went nut-so over it- my 20 month old even had 3 helpings!

Yes, it is nothing pretty to look at.  It tastes WAAAAAY better than it looks, I promise!


Hamburger Chop Suey Casserole

1 pound ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped 
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2-4 Tbsp. soy sauce (or to taste).  I used low-sodium

Brown ground beef, green pepper, onion and celery together.  Drain the grease.  Put into a large casserole dish.  Add rice, soup, water, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or till rice is done.  Serve and enjoy!  

ps- I also think this would work well in the crock pot on low.  

Comments

  1. I think you are a perfect wife for my picky brother. He is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey