Grandma

Easter 2011.  She was so proud of this fruit arrangement she brought.  Isn't she pretty?
 My Grandma had a stroke a couple of days ago.  I got to spend the last two days with her at the hospital.  At first I thought we were going to loose her.  Her stroke was described as "massive" and she was asleep.  Then she opened her eyes and has been asking (with slurred speech) about things like my cousin's pretty new kitchen cupboards, and if the Cyclones are playing next weekend.  She's been tickling Holland's legs with her good hand and commenting on her pretty dress and shoes.  She's been taking jokes and even trying to smile.  My Grandma is still here and she's still herself and I am so thankful that the last of my time with her has not come yet.  But still there is so much sadness for what has been lost.  A stroke that came in the night changed my Grandma forever.  She's lost her mobility and her independence.  Just a few days ago she was driving around town, walking every day and baking bread and cookies.  When at I look at pictures taken only months ago, I can see her beautiful made-up face and know that she's not going to look just like that again.  I didn't think that this was where she was going but I guess that is part of this life on Earth.  We don't know what the next minute of our life or our loved ones life holds.  So much of me is saddened by what has happened to my Grandma.  I feel like we've all been robbed of something; but today in the hospital room, I squeezed her hand, and she squeezed back.  When I told her I love her, she told me she loved me back.  That is what I still have; and I know that it's a lot.
Fisher is her first great-grandchild.  Look at the way she is looking at him- can you tell how enamored she is with her grandchildren?

Grandma and Claire.  Claire is wearing the sundress Grandma brought back with her from Hawaii.

The summer she helped to take care of my kids while Lance and I were on vacation.

Grandma's 80th birthday party- all of her grandkids together.

Grandma, my Dad and Holland this Easter

At Holland's Dedication on Mother's Day, 2011

Grandma, my sister and my cousin.  I love this picture.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey