What I've been Cookin'

Here's a little bit of what's been happening in my kitchen this week...

Caprese Salad

Made with my own tomatoes (notice the pretty yellow ones!) and my basil.  I made a balsamic reduction for the first time to drizzle over it.


Freezing Corn
As I was driving one morning, I passed a produce stand that was advertizing corn for $1/dozen.  I stopped by and found out that if I bought anything at all, I could get all the corn I wanted for $1/dozen and all the watermelon I wanted too!  I eft with a yellow pepper, a large seedless watermelon and 3 dozen ears of corn!  Deal!


I was able to get 14 cups for my freezer!
Grilled Steak and Peppers with Quinoa and Black Beans
Tonight I marinated a cheap cut of steak in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic.  Then I cut the steak into chunks and skewered them with red peppers.  I served it with Quinoa and black beans.  For the black beans, I sauteed a little onion and garlic, added a can of black beans (slightly drained), and then added a dash of cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of cumin.  We served it all together and it was delicious!  Hooray for a cheap tasty meal!

Wheat Germ Scones With Dried Cherries and Almonds






1/2 cup chilled buttermilk plus additional for brushing
3/4 cup dried cherries mixture, large pieces coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 cup white and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup honey-crunch wheat germ
1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar plus additional for sprinkling
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup chopped almonds
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Spray baking pan with baking spray. Mix 1/2 cup buttermilk, dried fruit, and vanilla in medium bowl.
Whisk flour, baking powder, soda, salt, wheat germ, 1/3 cup brown sugar, cardamom, and ginger in large bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in almonds, then buttermilk mixture. Mix until dough comes together in moist clumps. Gather dough together. Turn out onto lightly floured work surface; flatten to 8-inch round. Using large knife, cut round into 8 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet, spacing apart. Brush scones with buttermilk and sprinkle lightly with additional brown sugar.
Bake scones until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.



And that's what's been happening this week in my kitchen- hope everyone's week has been as yummy as mine!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey