Rhubarb Crunch


Since spring is officially here, fresh rhubarb will also be here shortly.  With this assurance, I felt safe in using up the last of my rhubarb that I had frozen last spring.  I don't have my own patch, but my neighbors have been good ones, and every year I've been blessed to tuck away several bags of rhubarb to my deep freeze.

Rhubarb Cruch is my mom's go-to recipe for rhubarb.  It is sooo good- sweet, tangy, crunchy.  It is great plain, but whipped cream makes it even better.

RHUBARB CRUNCH

1 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted margarine
1 tsp. cinnamon
4-5 cups rhubarb
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
whipped cream from topping

Mix the first 5 ingreedients.  Press 1/2 crumb mixture into a greased 9" square pan.  Cover with rhubarb.  Combine sugar, water, cornstarch and vanilla in a small saucepan.  Cook, stirring until it boils 1 minute.  Pour over rhubarb.  Top with remaining crumb mixture.  BAke at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream.


Comments

  1. It is your dad's favorite rhubarb recipe. I just put another rhubarb recipe in the oven for lunch. It is Grandma Ver Steeg's favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey