Peaceful Minutes in the Middle of Crazy

Today Holland had to have a very unpleasant medical test.  Let's just say it involved a tube, a hiney and an xray.  This girl hardly tolerates having her bottom wiped, so needless to say this was a most unwelcome event in her morning.  The test only took 5 minutes or so, and I was able to be right by her the whole time, kissing her teary cheeks and singing her favorite songs.  When there were moments I wasn't right next to her, she was frantic until she was back in my arms.  I wonder when this feeling goes away.  Does it ever?  I think that even now at age 32, when things are scariest, there is something inside me that still just wants my mom nearby.


Anyway, after the test was over, we had to wait for some "action" before they could take another couple xrays.  So the xray techs wrapped my baby in warm blankets and showed us a quiet room with a rocking chair.  As I rocked her, I felt her relax, put her head on my chest, and fall asleep.  I got to rock my baby for 45 minutes while she slept.  I had nowhere else to be and nothing else on my agenda for that time but to just be where I was and to hold my spent little one. 


I felt I had a million things to do today.  I hosted 13 people for my husband's birthday supper tonight, and the list of things I thought I had to do seemed overwhelming when I awoke this morning.  Then I was given these minutes when I couldn't do anything that I felt I HAD to do- but rather had to just sit and be still with my limp little lump of a girl in my arms. Those minutes were a sweet gift in the midst of a crazy day and I am so grateful for them.

Comments

  1. Your mom still wants to be nearby for all the good and hard times, too.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey