Birthday Cakes for my Babies

Tomorrow my baby will be one year old.  I'm not ready to fully grapple with enormity of that statement, so I am going to blog about something little more non-emotional.  I'm going to talk about baking my babies their birthday cakes.  I made a vow to myself a long time ago that I would never buy my children a birthday cake.  For one thing, they are really expensive.  Really, though, I just wanted to give them something that I put some time and effort and a little creativity into.  Every birthday so far, I have kept my promise.  Some cakes have been cuter than others, and some have been more difficult than others (though none have been very fancy).  But even the ugliest of cakes (see Claire's 3rd birthday) was made with equally grand intentions, and in the end, will probably be most fun to reminisce about in years to come (see Claire's 3rd birthday).  I made Holland's 1st birthday cake today... impossible to believe that a year has flown since she made our family complete...  anyway, I was pretty proud of the cake.  I stood in my kitchen wrist-deep in frosting and recounted my silly promise to my husband. He chuckled at me as I told him that it was just "something I have to do."  And if my babies should grace my table on their 20th, 30th, 50th birthday and hopefully more... I will crack the eggs, whip the icing, and lovingly serve them a slice of  homemade birthday cake made with love by their Mommy.


Birthday Cake For My Babies... A Look Back
Fisher's 1st Birthday...This is the cake that I made, however I can't find the my photo of it... yikes.  The Internet is an amazing thing!

Fisher's 2nd Birthday... a Basketball Cake!

Fisher's 3rd Birthday- He saw this ice cream cake in a magazine


Fisher's 4th Birthday- MONSTER CAKE

Claire's 2nd Birthday- a butterfly cake.  She didn't have a 1st birthday cake, as my grandpa died the day of her birthday

Claire's 3rd Birthday- a Castle Cake... a truly ugly cake.  This cake looked a lot different in the picture on the Internet, and also in my head.... oh well.. it is good for a laugh!

Fisher's 6th Birthday... Mario cake!  My artsy husband is responsible for the frosting handiwork
Claire's 4th birthday... Tinkerbell.  Doesn't get any easier than this cake!  This is the year I had an infant to care for, so I let myself slack off.

Holland's First Birthday Cake... a Snowman!  After so many summer birthdays, it was so much fun to do a winter-theme!

Comments

  1. Those cakes are great! Your kids are going to love to look back at those pictures. The snowman cake looks so yummy-you'll have to post pictures of Holland enjoying it. :) Happy 1st Birthday, Holland!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey