Keeping a Record of My Days

"Teach me to number my days that we might get a heart of wisdom" Psalm 90:12

Occasionally, I write in my journal. I wish it was more, but I do what I can. I've kept a journal since I was in the 2nd grade, and they are my most treasured possessions. The other day, when I cracked my latest journal open the other night, I realized that months had passed since I last wrote. I was overwhealmed with the moments that I wanted to record, and frustrated about the ones that I failed to write down and now were forgotten. So, I decided to just take that day and write it down. It was very therapeutic to reflect on all of the mundane, small, and sweet moments of the day that had been put to rest. I felt a small thrill knowing that this was a day I wasn't going to loose. 50 years from now, when I open my journal and read that entry, all of those moments will come back to me, and I will be back in November 2010 with 6 year old Fisher, 4 year old Claire, baby Holland, and my young husband.

November 16 2010
Today Lance took Fisher to school so the girls and I had extra time in the morning to get ready for the day. When Claire was in her room to get dressed, I brought out Fisher's old black t-shirt from pre-school. Her eyes lit up when she saw it and she said she "loved it." She said she was hoping for a pink one, but she still liked this one.
Holland ate apricots and cereal and had a little pumpkin bread too. We took Claire to preschool where she proudly showed Miss Julie her black t-shirt and her pants that matched Holland's.
Holland and I left Claire busy coloring and moved on to Tuesday Morning Bible Study. Left Holland crying in the nursery... made me feel sad and sweetly touched and amazed at how much she loves me and just wants to spend time in my presence or better yet be in my arms. Nothing can make you feel as special and one-of-a kind and needed as your baby.
Went to Bible Study- enjoyed strong coffee with Vanilla Rum creamer. We collected household items for refugees and discussed how we need to be intentional about helping the poor.
Picked up Holland- she was sleeping and I had to wake her up so we wouldn't be late picking up Claire- I love how heavy and warm a sleeping baby is.
Got Claire and sung along to a sweet lulaby on the way home. Electrician was working in our basement, so we had no power! Claire had bread with jam, yogurt, apple with cinnamon and milk for lunch. I had leftover tunafish and an apple. I was suprised at how good the apple was- very sweet and very crisp. I wouldn't have thought so to look at it.
Claire and I put puzzles together, play operation and read her Cubbies assignment. Holland goes down for a nap. Still no power and the house is getting cold. Coax Claire into Fisher's room for rest time. She looks at books and colors. Time to get Fisher and sadly have to wake a sleeping baby again. She doesn't complain.
Pick up Fisher and come home for a snack of pumpkin bread. Played more operation and then the kids waited for the electricity to come back on. Power on at about 4pm. Fisher and Claire play Wii and I finally check my email! Feels good to have heat.
Read to Fisher "Magic Tree House." Kids watch a Scooby Doo video and I coax Holland to crawl a bit for the first time!
Prepare dinner- grilled pork chops, baked potatoes, fruit and snap peas. Lance comes home- everyone is glad.
Eat supper together. 3 pork chops aren't enough. Even Holland gobbles her portion down in a flash.
After supper, Lance plays "2 Teddy Bears" with Fisher and Claire. Holland strains to join in and becomes "Teddy Bear Three." The sound of the kids' uncontained peals of laughter as they are chased by their Daddy is music.
7pm. Put Holland to bed.
Time for bedtime snack- homemade granola. I read Claire a story while she plays with my hair and I am in heaven. Lay with Claire a few minutes. She whispers silly secrets directly into my ear to make me laugh. She knows it tickles me.
I leave Claire and she is quickly asleep. Clean up the kitchen and talk with Lance. Retreat to the basement for TV and computer time. Start to go to bed, but get distracted by a million different things. Go into the girls room to cover them up. I am struck by my sleeping baby cuddled in her crib. Her life holds so much for her- all mysteries for now. I get to have her as a baby. Someday she will be a woman, but right now she is a small baby cuddled in her crib in my home. What an overwhealming gift to have a baby. A year of miracles given to me as a gift to be a witness to. I am thankful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey