My Grandma Turns 90!
A couple weeks ago, my wonderful Grandma Ver Steeg turned 90 years old. The photo below is my Grandma with all 11 of her grandchildren. It is amazing for me to see this picture of all of us together on such a happy occasion. We all wrote my grandma a letter and put them all together in a book for her. My grandma has been amazing grandma to all of us. Below is the letter I wrote to her:



Happy Birthday, Grandma!

I am so thankful to have over 30 years of memories of times with memories with you. Of course most of my memories are of times spent with you on the farm. I remember sitting at your kitchen table and enjoying molasses crisps and milk, or root beer floats with you. I was amazed that you always had ice cream AND root beer at your house. I felt special when you made them for me. Most of the times I pick up the phone and give you a call are when I am in the middle of making Molasses Crisps. I can’t make them with out remembering you and wanting to hear your voice.

I also remember reading books with you. I would open up the cabinet and sort through the many old books you had, and pick one out. You were always willing to sit and read to me- I never remember you telling me to wait. My favorites were Button Soup and Little Black Sambo.

More memories came from sitting in the back seat of your car and listening to you and Grandpa hum and sing along to music from years past that was playing on the radio. I can’t say I ever enjoyed the music, but I really liked to listen to you sing along. I also remember traveling in the back of the pickup! Sigrid and I rode in the back together. You and Grandpa were in the front, or course, so you couldn’t always hear us yelling from the back to ask “How much longer?” or “I have to go to the bathroom!” But of course we would stop eventually, and I had a great time rolling around in the back of the truck unencumbered by a seatbelt.

And then there was the river cabin- we were there a lot! I used to love your hammock swing- winding it around and around and spinning it out until it was dizzy. Speaking of spinning- I also remember doing a lot of that on your bar stool too! I loved sitting up to that bar and having you serve me up some celery with pimento cheese spread in the middle, or a nice cold glass of 7-up. I was also very impressed that you always seemed to have 7-up around too- but I suppose that came as part of Grandpa’s well-stocked bar. I used to love waking up with the sun shining in on me in the guest bedroom, and hearing you make morning noises in the kitchen- coffee brewing, pancakes frying, and birds chirping. And of course I will never forget all of the trips up and down the river in the pontoon we made- looking for golf-balls!

Grandma, as I reflect back on the memories I have made with you, and the time we have spent together, I realize that it is a treasured collection of little things. As I have lived my life, you have been there for it. You always remember my birthday- 30 birthday cards through the years! You were there to hear me play the piano, to see me dance, to see me graduate, to see me receive awards in college, to see me get married, and to love my children. What a gift you have given to me! You have been such a wonderful grandmother. You have affected and enriched my life deeply, and I will always treasure my memories that you have given me. I hope you enjoy your birthday, as people who you have loved, and who love you come together to celebrate you. I love you, and I can’t wait to make more memories with you in the years to come.

Love,

Rachael

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey