First Day of School

Fisher is having a great first week of school. He is enrolled in a Spanish-Immersion program, and will be taught a regular kindergarten curriculum in Spanish. His teacher is from Columbia (I think), and this is her 3rd Kindergarten class in Sioux Falls. He also has a full-time intern in his classroom that is her from a Spanish-speaking country as well (but I can't remember which one). We are so excited about this program! By the end of 5th grade, he will be fluent in Spanish. Starting in 3rd grade he will have English classes, but prior to that, there is no English reading or writing in school for him. Studies show that by the 5th grade, immersion students are caught up with their peers, though.

Her are some pics that tell the story of his first day of school:




Fisher with his teacher, Senora Jobs
Fisher with Lance (can you see him starting to well up?)

There are the tears. Lance told him "Just hold on to me until you are ready to let go." Then, or course, I had some tears.
All lined up and ready to go in. The tears went away quickly and he had a great first day.

This is the note I sent with his first sack lunch. He said he thought he figured out what it said, but took it to one of the lunch room "guys" to make sure he was right. He crinkled it up and kept it in his pocket for the rest of the day :)

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting Rachael! I heard he lost his lunch box?! I hope he wasn't too attached to it! Can't shake those Meyerink tendencies!

    How'd my brother get to be such a great dad?! That line made me cry too Rachael. Proud of you guys and proud of Fisher. Love you! --Leah & Liv

    ReplyDelete
  2. lunch box turned up in lost and found! He had another trial of it today, and made it home with it today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Capades

On Purpose

In My Kitchen... Yeast Bread With Liquid Whey